Caught your attention didn’t I? Well I’m getting into the mood for the holidays. I set up my cocoa bar and i am beginning to feel that warm cozy feeling of the holidays. So Cheers to you! Start small and get into the mood!
So in going along with the theme of the month, here is another trash to treasure. This was made upside down and not sellable so it landed in the damaged good pile. So naturally I scooped it up and gave it a home. Three coats of chalkboard paint with a little sanding in between, and I’ve got a cute little chalkboard for my craft room.
Well it has been a while! Boy life can throw you some serious curve balls as we all know. Been through some changes, but going to get back to my love of crafting, so stay tuned as I get myself tuned up as well. Welcome back and thanks for staying with me!
This weekend I created a simple shelf. Actually it was a lesson in how to use a router. I’ve been wanting to learn how so I could add to my power tool repertoire and was fortunate enough to have a friend loan one so that I could try it out. So off to Home Depot where I bought a one by four and then I went to routing. I only needed a five foot length for the shelf I wanted, so I used the piece I cut off the end to practice and get used to the tool. That was a good idea by my hubby (thanks honey!). So after a little practice, I went right on to my board. I routered (is that a word?) the three sides and left the back side flat to go against the wall. I used four L brackets to mount it to the wall with help from the hubby. Here are a couple pics; one showing my router skills and one showing my shelf in place above my scrap/craft table. It was really simple and fun, so if you ever wanted to give it a try, go ahead. It wasn’t scary at all. I used the FolkArt Chalk paint in white which was great for the raw board because it didn’t require any priming. Enjoy!
The board in the background is the next project I’ll share. Have a great afternoon!
Good snowy afternoon! Today I’m sharing a project that I actually did a little while ago, but is one of my all-time favorites. If you’re like me, spending countless minutes, okay hours, pouring over those Pinterest photos of all those awesome projects that are being made from wood pallets, I just had to get in there and try one. I had been battling with my coffee table for a while any way, so this seemed like the project for me. I have a little experience with some light upholstery and I own a staple gun, so I was game. It actually turned out to be quite easy. The most difficult part was dealing with the cumbersome size of the pallet and working around having to flip it over and center it and such. I enlisted the help of my daughter who, on occasion, is game to help old mom out with a project or two.
So here are the before and after photos.
The total cost of the project was about $100 dollars. The most expensive part was the foam padding. I was surprised how expensive it was, so if you can find a good source for inexpensive foam, definitely go that route and you can save a lot of money. The pallet was free. I got the fabric at Hobby Lobby when their home décor fabric was on sale at 50% off so only spent about $12 for that. I purchased the legs at Home Depot for about $3 each. I also bought a package of quilt batting to smooth out the corners and that was about $10 for the size I needed. So as you can see, the foam was the biggest expense. If you know of a good source for cheap foam, please do share! I even got it on a 50% sale at Hancock Fabrics, but it must contain gold 🙂 I am thrilled with it and it has been the best addition to my living room in years. I have a couple of smaller pallets that I am going to try some more projects with soon as well, now that I got my feet wet. So stay tuned!
I found this project idea while pouring through Pinterest. If you’re like me, those mixer attachments were a constant fight. I would just throw them inside the mixer bowl when not in use, but it always looked cluttered and I had to move them out of the way each time I wanted to use the mixer. But this little miracle idea turned out to be just the trick I needed.
All you need to start is a scrap piece of wood. You’ll want something with a flat bottom to it. An old piece of “one by”, old molding or handrail, or anything you have laying in your scrap pile. I had a piece from an old cutting board that I kept hanging on to thinking, “there’s gotta be something I can do with this.” Yes, I must confess, when it comes to those little scraps, I’m a bit of a hoarder. But hey, on this one, I can say I was right, so I feel a little vindicated! (love those small victories)
You will use a dowel to hold the attachments so choose one that just fits inside the mixer attachments. You want it large enough that the attachments don’t wobble around, but careful that it’s not too big. You want your piece to slide off and on without any struggle. Find your drill bit that matches the size of your dowel. Lay your mixer attachments out on the base piece to determine the proper spacing and make mark where you want to drill your holes. Drill holes about a half inch deep. Put some wood glue into the hole before placing dowel in the hole. You might need a hammer for a little extra tap to get your dowel into the hole if you have a tight fit like I did.